Most of us have been in a relationship with a narcissist. Perhaps you’ve been sucked in by a self-absorbed family member, a spouse, a boyfriend, a co-worker, or a friend.
Perhaps you thought it was your fault when the narcissist left you feeling diminished and full of despair.
The truth is, your only “fault” was getting involved with the narcissist in the first place!
Learning to spot this toxic behavior before it hurts you is crucial to your health. A huge part of wellness is surrounding ourselves with healthy people and healthy relationships. If we have unhealthy relationships, we need to assess whether or not they can transform, or we must find the strength to walk away.
So, let’s talk about how to spot a narcissist and how to walk away from one.
Here Are 6 Qualities of a Narcissist:
- He or she rarely takes responsibility for problems and instead blames them on everyone else.
- The narcissist expresses little emotion, particularly during conflict with you. When you do express emotion, he or she blames you for doing so. It’s a subtle form of abuse.
- He or she drains you, but thrives on your energy. Consider how much energy you are expending on this relationship… my guess is that it’s your effort keeping the relationship alive. You’re most likely exhausted emotionally and physically because you do all of the planning, all of the apologizing, and all of the work to ‘fix’ what is wrong.
- This person is charming, often a flirt, and thinks very highly of himself.
- This person is irresponsible with his finances, career, drinking, and/or keeping his home in order.
- Jekyll & Hyde: This person is so incredibly endearing, but when you say one thing wrong, she snaps at you. You walk on eggshells wanting to do everything right.