A narcissist is a person that has an over grandiose sense of self. Narcissists also tend to be unhappy people and there are some good reasons why.
They believe they are put on this earth to be admired, revered, adored and that the world revolves around them. With so much self-esteem you would imagine that they would live their lives in a state of perpetual happiness, but this is not so.
When a narcissist’s needs are being met, when they are made to feel unique, special and extraordinary, they are blissfully happy. The problem is that when their egos are not being continually stroked, they become resentful, angry and dissatisfied with their lot in life.
These examples show what would make a narcissist unhappy:
- They are not flattered anymore
- They are criticized
- They are ignored by those of a higher status
- They are treated the same as everyone else
- They are not the centre of attention
- Their advice is not listened to
- Other people given the spotlight
- They are questioned about the veracity of their stories
- They are laughed at in company
The things that make narcissists deeply unhappy people is that all their happiness comes from external forces: they rely on flattery, on their looks, their accomplishments, their possessions, and so on. So if any one of these factors was to prove to be less than special or amazing, their whole world would collapse around them.